S5 Ryzen 7 5700U - No audio out of front headphone jack - SOLVED

• I recently acquired a new S5 Ryzen 7 5700U with Radeon graphics and Win11 pre-installed.

I do not have any speakers, so I plugged headphones into the front 3.5mm audio jack.

No sound. It should just work but it didn't. The volume is not muted, no obvious reason why it didn't work out of the box.

I then installed Linux Mint alongside Windows.

No sound under Linux either. Again, it should just work but it didn't. The Driver Update manager said all drivers were up to date. 

A LONG time later, I have finally got audio to work in both OS.

If you have similar audio problems, this might save you hours or days of frustration and annoyance.

Here's how I solved it.

WINDOWS

1. Locate the Realtek HD Audio manager in the Windows system tray

Win1

2. Right-click and select Audio Devices

Win2

A window appears like this

Win3

Note that it has automatically selected the top device "2 - Acer K222HQL" as the default audio device, despite this being an HDMI monitor which does not have any inbuilt speakers, so it can't play audio.

The bottom entry is labelled "Speakers". Note that it has a different audio controller (Realtek HD Audio) compared to the others (AMD HD Audio Device).

Also note that is says "Disabled" . This is the root of the problem. Why it's disabled, I don't know. As I said, this was a new clean Win11 install on a new Trigkey S5, so this was how it came from the factory.

3. Select the entry called "Speakers" and click Properties

Change the name and icon to something else if wished. I changed the name the Headphones and selected a new icon.

4. Change the Device usage dropdown to "Use this device (enable)" and click OK

5. Back in the audio device list click on "Set Default" to make this device the default one. 

Sound now works!

LINUX MINT 21.2 MATE

In the Sound preferences in the Control Centre, the Hardware tab showed the following info :

Note that in the 1st screenshot (Family 17H controller) there is NO button to "Test Speakers", but in the 2nd screenshot (Renoir Radeon controller) there IS.

I clicked the Test Speakers button for the Renoir Radeon device but it did not produce any sound out of my headphones.

The other tabs showed the following :

Note that it curiously seemed to recognise the Family 17h controller with microphone & headphones as an input device, but is not listed as an output device. The HDMI outputs listed are no use to me as previously stated, as only my monitor is connected to them (which doesn't have any inbuilt speakers). 

The solution :

1. Install Alsa-tools-gui package from system's Software Manager to get the hdajackretask utility

2. Run the HDAJackRetask utility

I got the following screen, after selecting "Realtek ALC897" in the codec dropdown box.

3.  Select the Override tickbox for the "Green Headphone, Front side" and change it from "Headphone" to "Line out (Front)"

4. Click on the "Install boot override" button, enter superuser password when prompted, click on OK when done then reboot.

5. In Sound Preferences app in Control Centre, we now get the following

Note that we now have a "Test Speakers" button for the Family 17h controlller, whereas before it was missing.

The Output tab now lists the Family 17h controller with Speaker and Headphones, whereas before it was missing.

Sound now works!

Happy days.

• Thanks for this solution.

I had the same issue on my new S5 5560U with Linux Mint Cinnamon 21.3 loaded.

Through trial and error I determined that the “Green Line Out, Rear side” / “Pin ID:0x14” was the right one for me to assign to "Headphone" to get the fornt (only) audio jack working.

Craig

• Thank you so much! I have been looking for the answer to this for 2 days!

I have the S5 AMD Ryzen 7 5800H and running Linux Mint 21.3 Cinnamon. The AUX jack was working for me on Windows side so I only followed the Linux part of the instructions. Changing the Green Headphone, Front (Pin ID: 0x1b)  side did it for me as per your instructions. :)

(I signed up just to thank you because it's been hell trying to find the solution.)